Lessons are a great way to learn to play the oboe and be ready to perform. My studio performs on an annual recital, and other solo and chamber performance opportunities. Learning to play the oboe can be difficult, but with lessons it can also be fun!
Learning in Colaboration
Students learn more in collaboration with the peers they gain when joining a studio. In addition to expertise and guidance in their lessons, students in my studio are often given group projects to hone their musical and team building skills.
Each student has different instructional needs to grow into the best musician they can be. Lessons allow me to touch up reeds from week to week to ensure they play well and last as long as possible. To get started with lessons below contact me, or click to button at the bottom of the page.
- Our work together will comence by finding a permanent lesson time. This lesson time must be compatible with our mutual schedules on a regular basis, so that I’ll see you at the same time on the same day of each week (unless we’ve discussed otherwise)
- I give my students weekly practice assignments, and ask that they practice a minimum of 30 minutes per day, at least 6 days a week. If you brushed your teeth that day; you should practice.
- Parents are more than welcome to sit in on lessons and observe, although I ask that you please refrain from offering comments or suggestions unless invited to do so.
- Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about my lesson policy. I’d be more than happy to speak with you!
- Students pay by the month at the first lesson of each month.
- Private lessons are $50 for a one hour lesson, buddy lessons (2 students in a lesson) are $26/hour/student
- Oboe reeds are $25 and can be ordered online. There is a $2 discount with the return of a chirugi 2+ staple in good condition(from an old reed that I made for a student.) Payment is due on the day that a reed is requested.
- If you must miss a lesson, please notify me at least 24 hours in advance of your lesson time, or I cannot give a refund. Exceptions are granted for emergency situations, such as illness.
- Make-up lessons may be scheduled on mutual availability. I will personally do everything I can to find another time for you the week of the missed lesson, but if an appropriate lesson time cannot be found a make-up lesson will not be given.
Materials and Curriculum
- Students are required to bring their instruments, reeds, swab, and other accessories to every lesson.
- A folder with staff paper will be provided to your student, please keep this with your band materials for reference.
- I use a variety of books for reference and will recommend the purchase of different method books based on the needs and progress of each individual student.
- For a reference of expectations for beginner oboes progress click here.